[Prev][Next][Index]

Follow up to long roots and stems.

> >From: Mick Nally <mick at roch-inst_co.uk>

> >1. Amazon Swords. <snip>... all the leaves are out of the water and the
> >stalks push the .... light fittings off the top of the tank.

> It sounds like you have good growing conditions for your plants and the
> swords are a variety that is just too big for your tank.  They may also be
> a variety that likes to grow emersed.

Quite possibly, but I also thought it might be an effect caused by not enough
light. (?)

> Those big swords are telling you to get a 125 gallon tank! Maybe they could
> provide the excuse you were looking for!  :-)

Best advice ever!!

> >2. Anubias Congensis. <snip> ... The rhyzome is still about 1 inch,
... but the roots were 14 inches long!

> No doubt your Anubias plant that was under the swords needed more light.
> That is an impressive length of root, but you will probably find, if you
> were to dig up any of the three plants that have been getting better light,
> that they had as long or even longer roots.  Possibly your poorly lit
> rhizome grew those long roots when it was better lit (before the swords got
> so big) and when it had more leaves.
>
> Paul Krombholz                  Tougaloo College, Tougaloo, MS  39174

I was wondering if this could also be a low lighting effect and the plant
was diverting its resources into root production rather than leaf production.
Does anyone know if exagerated root development is related to poor lighting?
Having said that, I do have 2 Watts/(US)Gal which with plain gravel and no
CO2 is probably OK; as Paul noted this plant was in a localised area of shade
due to the monster swords.

Mick

PS sorry about the previous empty post.