[Prev][Next][Index]

Filter Feeder Shrimp Update

Singapore, Wood and Blossom are names that describe similar (perhaps the
same) shrimp that feeds by filtering the water for fine particles.  My
shrimp are 2" long, from  nose to tip of tail, one is blond and the other is
brown, lighter and darker horizontal striations can be seen upon close
examination, and a light broad strip runs down the back.  Two pair of
"filtering" feet are normally held in front of the body but underneath the
head.  Occasional flicking of a foot to the mouth will be noticeable.  Two
large antenna and 2-4 (I forget) smaller antenna are located on the head.

These shrimp position themselves in a strategic position and may be
motionless for hours, except for the flicking of the filtering feet.
 Occasionally, they will be seen moving around the tank or hanging from the
oddest places (not only on and in plants but once Blondie was in the
canister filter outflow!  The tank water was clearer than it had ever been 1
week after introduction (Tank is 42gal hex).  Two weeks after introduction,
the bottom two thirds of the tank was still clear but the top third had
visible particles in it.  I attribute this to adding a biowheel and changing
the flow patterns.  The water simply did not circulate to the bottom as
well.  Three weeks after introduction the shrimp were "grooming" the algae
on the plants.  They did not actually pull up the algae but brushed their
filter feet over it.  I believe they are pulling particles off the algae,
possibly even algae spores.  I have also seen the exact same behavior occur
on the gravel.  With the gravel (5-15mm size) they will completely wipe each
exposed surface on the gravel, and even saw some small pieces being moved.

The shrimp are funny to watch.  One day Brownie got something on one of his
filter feet and it wouldn't come off.  Imagine a person finding something
nasty on their finger and trying to sling it away - Eeeuww!  That's exactly
what this one was doing.  A not so nice thing about the shrimp is that they
molt.  The first time I saw a shell I thought I had a dead shrimp.  I don't
know how often they molt, in 6 weeks only one time so far.  They become
reclusive when it's "time" so they need a little bit of shelter.  But they
molt away from protection - I guess to not contaminate their home.  Their
reflexes are superb - one of my Discus got too close and the thing BOUNCED
about 6" straight up into a plant.

I purchased mine at the local Pet Smart for $8 US each.  The wholesaler who
supplied them is Seagrest Farms out of Florida.  (800)237-9317

Rochelle Williams
williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil