Re: waterproof flourescent sockets

>From: eis at alto1_altonet.com (Paul Nicholson)
>Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 19:42:46 -0800
>Subject: waterproof flourescent sockets
>I have seen two types of waterproof flourescent light sockets.
>1) The more common type includes wires, is designed to provide electrical
>connection only, and comes with a couple of separate c-shaped clamps to
>hold the bulb. It appears to be designed and marketed for the aquarium
>2) The other type has a removable collar/seal and provides mechanical
>support as well as electrical connection. The collars are slipped over the
>I watched a light with live wires almost fall into the water at a local
>store when it slipped off the clamp - I don't like the loose type 1


When I used the C-shaped clamps, I used 3 or 4 clamps per bulb to prevent
the type of accidents you described.  I have also purchased bulb clamps at
my local aquarium store (Clairemont Tropicals in San Diego) which are much
safer.  They go completely around and has a locking mechanism to prevent the
bulb from falling off.