[Prev][Next][Index]

Re:Life in a dead tank

>From: Cathy Byland <cccathy at showme_missouri.edu>
>Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 09:01:18 -0600 (CST)
>Subject: Life in a dead tank (was RE:medications)

Cut of the beginning of the text

>I have no idea what species they are:  There was a breeding pair of
>bosemanis, along with four Turqs and four Splendidas. If I can keep them
>alive, I'll let you know what kind they are, when they get large enough
>to identify.
>
>Cathy Byland

It is nice to read such stories. But there is something that i have to
remark to this story
It is known that rainbows of different species can have fertile *babies*
So I think with three species in one tank you have a mix of two species.
Perhaps every
little fish has a different pair of parents. It is possible that eggs and
sperms of different animals
are mixed by chance.
So if you let them grow up please do not give them to anybody else and do
not breed with this
animals.
I am alittle bit afraid of having a standard mix rainbow in the future. The
native species are so
nice please leave them in the way they are.
Here over in germany we have had some cross breeds that were given *latin*
names and sold
for enormous price. I thing this is something that has to be restricted.

Patrick Aldag
Institut fuer Tierzucht und Tierverhalten (FAL)
Abt. Endokrinologie
Hoeltystr. 10
D 31535 Neustadt
Tel:   05043/871170