[Prev][Next][Index]

Peat substrate and Lime Containing Rocks

I'm in the final phases of testing various substrate material and tank
decorations before setting up a 135gal tank.  The peat and clay for my
substrate cause the pH to lower.  Rocks I would like to use cause an
increase and most importantly buffer my tank - KH w/o rock is 2, KH w/ rock
is 3.  The peat/soil test tank is not dropping the pH as much as it did at
the beginning of the test.  I do not know if this is because my Chinese
Algae Eater is no longer digging up the gravel and exposing the peat (he got
some buddies and is much happier) or if the peat is not leaching as much.
 The 135gal tank will have the new Sandpoint substrate heating system so
there will be a current in the substrate.  Therefore, I anticipate longer pH
dropping potential.  Has anyone used peat in the substrate along with
substrate heating?  If so, how long did the pH lowering effect continue?  My
concern is that the peat will stop lowering pH long before the rock stops
increasing it.
Rochelle Williams
williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil