[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #369

Olga wrote, Wed. March 27:

........<snipped>......... if one were keeping fish
>from the Amazon shouldn't one then be injecting micro organisims from that
>environment and not those from the local pond or river? Or is fish habitat,
>fish habitat with the only difference to the fish warm or cold water? Or,
>maybe these fish are so far removed from their invironment that it doesn't
>matter anyway? I'm just wondering if the fish and their native invironment
>are closely linked to survive together and putting organisims in the tank
>that they are not linked to would cause problems.

You don't need the specific microorganisms from the Amazon, just
microorganiams that do the same jobs, such as oxidizing ammonia to nitrate,
breaking down organic matter, etc.  The kinds of jobs we ask microorganisms
in our aquariums to do are pretty general jobs, and you can find a crew of
germs to do these jobs anywhere.

Where I am wondering what happened to my spring break!