[Prev][Next][Index]

Soil nodules

I've been bouncing the Dupla K concept around in my head for a while, trying to
figure out how to come up with a way of inserting soil, laterite, etc. into a
pre-established tank without making a big mess.

I think I may have a good idea.

Wet and ball the soil into 1/2" sized balls, apply any liquid fertilizer that
you want to the ball, and then "bread" them with agar or some other gelatin
mixture.  It would even be possible to use the gelatin to actually wet the
ball.  Allow the gelatin to congeal, and shove the ball under the gravel.

I've read about sprinkling gelatin over ponds to reduce suspended green algae,
so I'm making an inference that gelatin won't cause a problem in the tank.

Anyone want to comment?

David W. Webb
Enterprise Computing Provisioning
Texas Instruments Inc. Dallas, TX USA
(214) 575-3443 (voice)  MSGID:       DAWB
(214) 575-4853 (fax)    Internet:    dwebb at ti_com
(214) 581-2380 (pager)  Text Pager:  pgr at ti_com Subj:PAGE:David Webb