[Prev][Next][Index]

Riccia substitution, Dupla vs PMDD

Subject: Riccia substitution

> To imitate the green plains Takashi Amano creates using Riccia (
> is possible to substitute Vesicularia dubyana (Java Moss)?  I ha
> Crystalwort anywhere.

It is certainly possible (probably easier ;-) to use Jave Moss in
the manner decribed.  It would need to be trimmed more regularly
since the plant produced longer "strings" than Riccia.  That said,
if you really want to use Riccia, you should be able to find some.
 Many hobbyists keep it, I have seen it on sales lists from time
to time, and I have collected it in the wild in a number of
locations.

 ------------------------------

Subject: Dupla vs PMDD

Pat Bowerman wrote:

>      My own thoughts? Dupla is a trusted company, and there is l
> that their products are good. However their prices, not just on
> fertilizers but everything, border on highway robbery. I would v
> guess that if the only way to grow aquatic plants was to follow
> regimine to the letter, that there would be very few folks in th
> because not too many people could afford it.

I know George really doesn't need any help defending either
himself or Dupla, But before you accuse Dupla too strongly of
"highway robbery", have you _compared_ fertilizers on a dose for
dose basis?  Are you really sure that Dupla's fertilizers are more
expensive for what you get?  I'm not, and I _have_ done some
comparison shopping.

There is also no reason that anyone needs to use _everything_ that
Dupla produces to be able to appreciate their products.  I don't
use all their products because I can't afford them, but I
certainly appreciate the R&D they have put into their total
system.  I have seen far too many products on the market that have
nothing more going for them but a testimonial from the developer
saying, in essence, "it works for me!"<g>

> George, I appreciat
> loyalty to a product and a method that works. Sometimes though,
> overdone. Tell me that you have no financial or personal ties to
> Dupla.

_I_ can tell you George has no personal or financial ties to Dupla
.(other than the fact that he has purchased some of their
products)  J.P. Burleson is the sole U.S. distributor of Dupla
products.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA