[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Riccia substitution

>From: williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil (Williams, Rochelle - DCSPIM)
>Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 10:32:52 -0500
>Subject: Riccia substitution
>
>To imitate the green plains Takashi Amano creates using Riccia (Crystalwort)
>is possible to substitute Vesicularia dubyana (Java Moss)?  I haven't found
>Crystalwort anywhere.

Yes, you can. Here are the pros and cons:

Pro:
   1. Java moss "roots" readily on wood and rock so you would only need
      to tie it once. Riccia on the other hand does not root at all so you
      need to keep tying it to rock/wood because it will become lose and
      float when it grows.
   2. Java moss needs much less light than Riccia. To keep Riccia nice and
      green you need to keep trimming it so that the bottom part does not
      turn yellow due to lack of light.

Con:
   1. Riccia has a more attractive "mesh". Riccia forms a mesh that looks like
      afro hair cut while Java moss has the look more like marine crew cut.
      You also need to trim the Java moss regularly to keep it neat if not
      it will become a bunch of tangled threads.

   2. I prefer the lighter shade of green that Riccia has. It provides a
      strong contrast.

Hardjono