[Prev][Next][Index]

New Beginnings

Hello all-

I've recently decided to begin an experiment concerning the breeding
behaviors and distinctions between native Papiliochromis Ramirezi and
asian bred varieties, of course pending the honesty of my sources for the
fish.  As I outline my procedures, I have been out collecting rocks and
substrate materials to use in the tank enviornment.  I will house two
pairs of native in one 20g tank and 2 pairs nonnative in another
identically set up tank.  I have cut and bored the rocks to the extent of
where I will have identical rock structures and homes for the two tanks.
For filtration and heating, it's a simple canister filter and heater,
nothing special.
As far as the sunstrate material goes, this is where I need a little bit
of help or some suggestions.  Since I have gone through the trouble of
acquiring rocks and river sand from surrounding areas (cleaning properly
of course) I figure I mine as well go full bore and plant my tanks with
live plants.  For the substrate I have some Washington river sand from
the Big Chief River, as well as some coarse to finer granite gravel which
I created by finding finely weathered granite and crushing it in the lab.
So I plan on mixing the two together (the river sand is medium size to
fine sand) and then covering it with the crushed granite for athestic
value (have to have something to look at that's appealing!) Now I've
heard about such things as Laterite and others, for which I have never
heard of before.  That as well as CO2 injectors, some people say you need
this stuff and some say you don't.  The CO2 injector is out of the
question do to financial constraints, however people say I cannot go
without the Laterite.  Please give some suggestions if you will and maybe
a source of where to find such a thing as Laterite, for I have not a
knowledgable aquarium staff nearby.
Thank you very much!