[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Allergies from aquatic plants?

On Monday, 18 March 1996, John Schmaus wrote:

> 	Has anybody ever had allergic reactions from their plant tank?
> 	Over the last two weeks I've started getting asthma attacks whenever
> 	I open the tank or, now, even go into the basement.

What are you feeding your fish?  Many people, including myself, are
sensitive to an antigen found in Chironomus midge larvae (bloodworms).
People with respiratory problems are at risk anywhere the midges are
found.  I've developed nasty rashes from reaching inside my tank.

You could also be sensitive to a mould or fungus growing under
the hood and sending spores through the air.  Try wiping everything down
every day with Hibitane (chlorhexidene gluconate).
--
Kevin Conlin   kcconlin at cae_ca   "We're Canadians.  We HAVE to be polite"
Finger as332 at freenet_carleton.ca for PGP public key.