[Prev][Next][Index]

Upgrading Lighting

Hi, all!  Any advice or guidance on replacing the single florescent tubes in
the plastic covers that come with new aquarium setups is greatly
appreciated.  I'm setting up a 125 gal freshwater community, planted, Discus
tank in a few weeks.  One of my last concerns is ensuring adequate lighting.
 With every florescent aquarium light I own on top of the new tank, I still
only have 105 watts.  Purchasing and retrofitting a full hood is too
expensive at this time (ditto for MH pendents) and hanging shop lights over
the tank is unacceptable (tank is in living room).  I'm considering
purchasing one of the Coralife/Energy Savers Wizard electronic ballast kits
advertised in That Fish Place catalog.   A kit for two T-8s or two T-12s
will accommodate various wattage bulbs.  Is it true that you just glue the
endcaps and bulb holders where you want them to go and stick in a bulb?
 That sounds too easy to believe.   What's the catch?
Rochelle Williams
williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil
In wet and tornado-y Atlanta