[Prev][Next][Index]

Pencil Fish and Iron Storage

Subject: pencil fish

> I recently had an aquarium fish retailer suggest pencil fish to
> Has anyone out there heard of this? I decided to get three of th
> posted on my experience.

I keep 3 species of Pencils in 2 tanks.  They're very attractive
little fish, but I've never seen them eat much algae.

 ------------------------------
Subject: Iron Storage in Plant Tissues

> >I have found that if I can measure _any_ iron in the water, I s
> >to have enough.  Remember that iron is one of the substances
> >plants can store.  So your plants will suck all of it out of th
> >water until the fill their reserves.

>          Iron in plants can be stored  because it is locked by c
> bonds in complex molecules such as cytochromes (pigments) and en
> deficiencies (pale and fragile growth) are observed in new growt
> because it is not translocable to the developing tissues. What t
> down to, is that the availability of Iron has to be constant to
> adequate growth and is the actual concentration (not what was ad
> week) what is going to determine the proper maturation of the ti
> developing at that particular moment.

I would still think that if you maintain measureable levels, that
the plants are getting all they need.  I have seen that in a tank
that has been deficient in iron, you can introduce _a lot_ of iron
before you get measureable levels.  I have presumed (and have
read) that this was because the iron starved plants were sucking
it up quickly.  After a while, a much lower dose will keep the
iron level stable.  Is this not so?

>         I hope that after lurking for a few months I can make a
> contribution (my first!) at a time when we need to support this
> most to keep it going.

Thanks for posting!

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.