[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: List Vs. Newsgroup

Shaji wrote:

>Aquatic Plants Digest       Sunday, 10 March 1996       Volume 01 : Number
317

>If there is sufficient interest in continuing the mailing list, I'd really
>like to see someone else take over my job of keeping it running.
>
>- -Shaji

We all appreciate your kind help and even-handed administration. Thank you.
I,for one, would hate to see you give it up, but the pay isn't all that
great, is it? :^)

Something that has worked well, so far, for killies, is a one-way gateway to
the newsgroup, but *not* from newsgroup to the mail list. There is also an
address for the list only, so signing up for the list is worth doing for the
real die-hard types. The newsgroup then requires only a casual scan to pick
up requests from newbies, etc.

A gateway from newsgroup to mail list would overload us even more than now.
This list is considerably more active than killies@mejac, so I don't know if
it would work out. Killies just recently added a digest option, so we differ
there, too. IMHO, we can't afford to be without a list, for those with only
e-mail access, but the work load must be manageable, and the newsgroup could
take some of the load by using the killies approach.

Just my $0.0042 (adjusted for inflation),

Wright

--

Wright Huntley (408) 248-5905 Santa Clara, CA USA huntley at ix_netcom.com