[Prev][Next][Index]

substrate heating

In a lot of the recent discussion about substrate heating, everyboody seems
to agree that there is an an advantage to keeping plant roots warm. The
other attributed benefit is the increased circulation in the substrate
which is necessary to get nutrients to the roots.

Stephen Pushak wrote (Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #293):
<<
1) The coefficient of thermal expansion for water is on the order of
.001 (density change per degree C). Convection currents are induced
by horizontal temperature gradients in the fluid, that is, they are