[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Cultivation of Glossostigma

> From: Doug Valverde <75051.160 at compuserve_com>

> I, through a friend, have managed to get a small supply of Glossostigma, or
> perhaps I sould say I will have it in hand by Thursday.  It is only a small
> supply.  I intend to grow it out in a seperate 10 gallon tank under as close to
> it's optimum conditions as I can.  Once I get enough of it I'll start playing
> with it in aquariums, but for now I want to do whatever I can to get it going.
> Stuff is just too hard to get to kill what little I will have.
>
> From some other post here I have gathered it prefers emersed conditions.  So I
> have been considering growing it in bog type conditions.  Use Minnesota top
> soil, which is high in clay content and very rich, keep the soil covered by
> water, but no more, and use flourescent lights hanging over the tank which I
> though I would cover with glass to keep humidity high.  But this is strictly a
> guess and nothing more.

I have Glossostigma growing happily in three locations (none of which
are emersed).

I have some in a bathtub outside.  This gets afternoon sun, and is
covered with one layer of shadecloth.  Substrate is just dirt covered
by a couple of cm of sand.  The Glossostigma grew very slowly during
winter, but exploded in spring/summer.  Temperatures ranged from
"bloody cold" (but not freezing) in winter to about 25C in summer.

I also have it growing in my aquarium @ 25C, and in my wifes discus
tank @ 28C (both tanks with co2, fertilizer, etc).  I actually didn't
expect it to grow at the higher temperature, but it seems to be doing
well (I guess everything else must be just right for it).  An
important factor is the amount of light.  If the light is
insufficient, it begins to grow upward like a stem plant (you'll also
see this when runners take off into more heavily planted areas).

Cheers,
    Len.
--
 Comp Sci Grad   DoD#1334   trigg at cs_waikato.ac.nz