[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #285

>From: MMMORRIS at smith_smith.edu
>Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 22:08:26 -0500 (EST)
>Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #284
>
>I have a question for those who have an answer about a problem I am having
>with a dual light fixture I bought for my 20 long.  I took the fixture apart,
>connected the endcaps to the inside of my custom made hood, added about 18" of
>wire to all leads in order to mount the Advance Magnetic ballast under the
>stand.  I was sure to wire it just like it was originally in the fixture,
>grounded the ballast, soldered the wires together to assure a good connection
>and when I put it all together . . . . it did not work. All I can assume is
thatthe additional >length in the wire from ballast to light creates enough

I'm not an expert on FL or advanced magnetic ballasts, but if you used
roughly the same gauge wire as was orginally used, the extra 18" will add a
*very neglible* amount of resistance
to your new circuit. It must be an incompatability between the old and new
ballasts, something wrong with the new ballasts, or (most respectfully) you
have done a wiring error.

>resistance that there isn't enough juice to form the arc necessary to start
the bulbs.  This is >a rapid start setup.  What am I doing wrong?!?!??

>				Thanks in advance,
>
>					Miles Morrissey
>					Easthampton,MA

  -erik