[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Algae Plague Questions - Algae Eaters

Lisa,

I did see some shrimp at Akvarielageret in Bromma (Stockholm) when I was there
last Thursday. I even considered buying some, but at that point I had my
backpack
pretty much filled up. I don't know what kind they were, as I got *no*
experience
whatsoever with those creatures, only lurking on net discussions about them.

Akvarielageret: Løvåsvegen 40, 161 35 Bromma, tlf. 08/80 80 80, fax. 08/80
00 81.

>From: Liisa Sarakontu <lsarakon at hila_hut.fi>
>Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 18:34:53 +0200 (EET)
>Subject: Re: Algae Plague Questions - Algae Eaters
>
>> From: williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil (Williams, Rochelle - DCSPIM)
>> Subject: Algae Plague Questions
>>
>> 1.  Did I do a bad thing by removing the duckweed?  I thought it was
>> beginning to block the light.
>
>Perhaps.  It is a fast growing plant, and it was probably using up the
>nutrients that now make the algae bloom possible.
>
>> 2.  Other than ottos, are any other algae eating fish compatible with
>> Discus?  I read somewhere that flying foxes are aggressive and my local fish
>> store said this LONG (4+") SLENDER fish with a funny head was a farlowella
>> (sp?) but I don't know if they are OK.  I hesitate to consider pl*cos
>> because I saw one 3 feet long in the Atlanta area.  3 feet - no kidding!
>
>Most flying fox -type fishes (subfamily Garrinae) are rather aggressive,
>but normally only towards their own kind and towards similar-looking
>fish.  They should leave discus alone.  The SAE is of course best of all
>the Garrinae, because it is not aggressive and eats red algae.
>
>Farlowellas and other skinny suckermouth cats all eat algae, most don't
>grow very big and I haven't heard that any of them would be aggressive.
>There are few hundred pleco species and as some of them will grow 3' long,
>some will only get 3-6" long like Peckoltias (clown plecos) and Ancistrus
>(bristlenose plecos).  Bristlenoses are good algae eaters, and not
>aggressive.
>
>> 3.  Does anyone know where in the U.S. I can get the Japanese shrimp,
>> Caridina japonica?  Many European and Asian list subscribers have access to
>> these and find they are very good algae eaters.
>
>Hey, you many subscribers from Asia and Europe!  Is that true?  Yes yes,
>I know what Amano says about them, but I also know what Neil Frank says
>about them and although Neil hasn't yet written such impressive picture
>books, I think I'll believe him.  (Yo, Neil!  Any of them still alive?)
>
>Well, if anybody knows where I could get those shrimps in Finland, Sweden
>or Estonia, I would try them asap.
>
>Liisa Sarakontu from cold Espoo, Finland with half meter of snow all
>	around and probably more falling down soon

Erik in Norway, where the snow is now melting all around and I wish it didn't
because I've only been skiing once so far this season!!!