[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Surface laterite?

-----------------------------

>From: PacNeil at aol_com
>Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 15:26:14 -0500
>Subject: Re: [Q]How do I use laterite?
>
>Can I use laterite as a supplement for example, on the surface of my gravel?
>My tank is already established with simple aquarium gravel. I'm looking for a
>way to feed my plants without having to tear down my already established
>tank. Is there some other more efficacious way to feed my aquarium plants in
>my tank? I've already started using a DIY CO2 injection system through my
>AquaClear 300 and am seeing some improvement, although it's only been 5 days.

.....<rest snipped>........

Laterite supplies mostly iron, and I don't think very much of that would
become available to the plants if the laterite were on top of the gravel.
Some people advocate shoving balls of clay under the gravel.  I think that
additions of chelated iron couldy supply what the plants need.  Save the
laterite until the next time you set up a tank.

Where our chances for decent winter weather are passing quickly. Soon there
will be nothing to look forward to but tornadoes and floods