[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Algae inverse with disturbance?

Charlie commented about the relation between water movement and algal
growth. I've noted a definite preference of blue-green slime algae
for stagnant conditions (such as in a badly plugged trickle filter).
On the other hand, I note a kind of an olive colored slimy algae which
grows well on the outlet of the trickle filter (the filter media is
now removed) I use powerheads to create flow in my tanks to help
break down the surface layer of still water on my plant leaves. I
have noted a definite reduction in attached algaes but hesitant
to make a correlation. Green water, on the other hand, doesn't seem
to care about water turbulence.  Just my observations. - Steve