[Prev][Next][Index]

Pigmy chain sword reproduction

Hello all,
  I recently bought my first pigmy chain sword from the local fish
store.  It has runners extending out from the crown of the plant which
terminate in "nodes."  The nodes have several short runners extending out
from them which have little balls on the end.  There are several of these
constructs on each of the plants.
  Are these nodes going to develop into more little plants?  I have
experience with vegetative propagation of valisneria, but I am confused
because the Val. always put the runners out beneath the substrate and I
only had to observe the finished results.  Should I wait for some root
structure to develop on these runners and push the plantlets into the
substrate?  Or do I need to do anything else?

  Thanks for the help.
  Tom