[Prev][Next][Index]

Reflective material for light hoods...

I tried this yesterday.  I'm not objective enough to tell if it helped, but my wife said it did...

When I've made aquarium hoods in the past, I've simply painted the inside with silver metallic paint.  I've heard of people using white paint, white laminate, or even mylar...  Not being able to find mylar, I used the silver paint.  A couple of days ago (while worrying whether or not my plants were getting enough light), I remembered those cheesy mirror tiles of the '70s.  Sure enough, Home Depot stocks them for a little more than a buck a 12"x12" tile...  I bought a tube of their adhesive for <$2 and two of the tiles.  Took about 30 minutes to cut them to fit the hood for my 29g  and another 2 hours for the adhesive to set.

Don't know if the plants appreciate it, but the amount of light given off when I open the top is blinding...

			Jeff Jones