[Prev][Next][Index]

Anubias, recognised and unrecognised species

To those interested in the genus Anubias-SCHOTT:

In 1979 a revision of the genus Anubias was published by the
Laboratory of Plant Geography, Agricultural University,
Wageningen, The Netherlands.  In this revision, 8 species
and 4 varieties were identified, and pictured with photographs
and drawings.  They were as follows:

Species:
A. afzellii
A. gigantea
A. gilletii
A. gracilis
A. hastifolia
A. heterophylla
A. pynaertii
A. barteri

Varieties:
A. barteri var. caladiifolia
A. barteri var. glabra
A. barteri var. nana
A. barteri var. angustifolia

This list leaves out many "species" which are familiar in the
aquatic plant trade such as:

A. congensis
A. congoensis
A. coffeafolia
A. frazeri
A. lanceolata
A. minima  ....to name a few.

In the revision, A. congensis was placed as a heterotypic
synomym of A heterophylla. I am assuming the A. congoensis
very probably can be placed with the same species, and may
only be a spelling error from A. congensis.

A. coffeeafolia is not mentioned in the revision, however I
believe it to be a cross of A. barteri var. caladiifolia and
A. barteri var. nana.

A. minima and A. lanceolata were placed as heterotypic synonyms
of A. barteri var. glabra.  This leaves A. frazeri which I have not
been able to track down.

The reason I am posting this is to ask anyone who is interested in
the genus Anubias what they have found and where the information
was discovered.  I have poured over all the books at my disposal,
but I'm hardly satisfied at this point.  Anyone interested in
this exploration is certainly welcome.

I have propagated the following species and varieties:
A. afzelli
A. barteri
A. barteri var. nana
A. barteri var. caladiifolia.
A. gigantea
A. gracilis
A. hastifolia
A. heterophylla

Most propagation was emersed in a completely enclosed aquarium,
where I was able to keep the heat and humidity constant.

I am also searching for A. gilletii and A. pynaertii. These
two species are out there somewhere, as they were cultivated
during the writing of the revision.  Any help would be great!

Karl R. Schoeler