[Prev][Next][Index]

No Subject

6-02-14 12:50:59 EST, you write:

>> BTW, any ballast can be wired to dim the bulbs.  I don't have the
>> diagram with me at the moment, but one of my books has it and if someone
>> is interested, I'll try to draw it.
>
>Only electronic ballasts designed for dimming can be wired to dim bulbs.
>That's one reason they're more expensive than standard electronic ballasts.
>
>One cannot, for example, put a fluorescent light using magnetic ballasts on
>a dimmer switch. You can try this at home with a compact fluorescent.
>Neither can one dim a T8 on a standard electronic ballast.
>
>BTW, you're right to be concerned about mixing a T8 electronic ballast with
>T12 lamps. Let's hope it only shortens the life of the lamps; they're
>cheaper to replace.
>
>Greg. Tong
>San Francisco, CA, USA
>gtong at sirius_com

   I will beg to differ.  I can't swear that what I said is true(I haven't
wired one up myself), but  I do have a wiring diagram for dimming mag.
ballasts.  My best rendition is as follows:
                      _____________
                                                   _______
---------------- | Ballast              |------------power in------
---------|dimmer |
|   |-----------   |_____________|----------- Power in
---------------|______|
|   |wire to tube              |    |______________________________|

|   |                                 |_____________           |

|   |      ________________________     |           |

|   |--- |       flourescent tube               |__ |          |

|------ |________________________|________|
                               __|___

                                                                    |starter|

                                                                       |_____

    Like I said, I have never actually wired up this thing, so I can't be
positive of the results.  I this diagram came out as junk, it is located in
the Aquarium Atlas, Vol 1, by Dr. Rudiger Reihl and Hans A. Baensch.  I just
happened to replace by shop lamps with a electronic ballast and T8 lamps, so
I have a few bulbs and ballasts left over.  I will give it a try and let you
know what happens.

                      Pete Datcuk