[Prev][Next][Index]

When to add Crypts

Subject: When to add crypts?

> I'm now a month into the life of my reborn 80-gallon tank (a
> Dupla/Booth product).  Ideas for rearraging and adding plants
> are starting to percolate through my brain.  Among others, I'm
> thing about adding about half a dozen red crypt wendtii.  The
> Optimium Aquarium recommends avoiding crypts until the 3-month
> point, and I'd like to hear what others feel about this
> (especially you, Karen).

I would wait longer for more delicate Crypts, but in my
experience, C. wendtii is quite sturdy.  I have often added C.
wendtii to fairly new tanks with impunity.  If your tank appears
to be fairly stable, (pH and KH remaining stable, hardware
operating reliably and algae at a reasonable and controllable
level) I'd say go ahead.  The worst that is likely to happen is
you'll lose a few leaves.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA