[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #243

     Mike Variano <mvariano at vnet_ibm.com> wrote:
> Stuart, leave the UGF in. Just don't use it. Stop the flow,
>  [snip]

I don't know how much you want to experiment, Stuart, but I agree
with Mike.  Leave the UGF in.

Your plants should grow fine if it's in or not, since you don't
have a high current through the (ignored) UGF.  Also, if you have
an old substrate, deep substrate, or lots of organic matter that
makes your substrate go anaerobic, you can instantly add some
fresh (or oxygenated) water down those lift tubes to stop that
process immediately.

I've set up several 10g tanks (three with ignored UGF, three with
no UGF) just to play with substrates with some confidence at being
able to respond to anaerobic conditions.

I haven't done it yet, but I'm even thinking about adding a high
N,P,K fertilizer (like cheap Miracle Gro) to the lift tubes, not
the main tank body.  My hope is that the main water column stays
relatively nutrient poor (low algae), but the substrate will have
very high diffused levels of nutrients.  When my life calms down
I'll try that, because these 10g tanks are now established at
about 4 months old.

--charley
cbay at jeppesen_com               Fort Collins, Colorado USA