[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: No Biological Filters

>My tanks use mechanical filtration only, and the mechanical filter is a sump
>tank with "dead water" pockets.  I just let debris settle out into the dead
>spots in the settling tank and siphon it out every few months.  My smallest
>tank has no active water movement of any kind and has been running successfully
>for several months now.

I use a similiar setup.  My tanks are centrally filtered and the filters consist of
two 2'x6'x1' high sumps.  These sumps are divided into three sections.  The
first two contain floating plants, hornwort, frogbit, duckweed, water cabage
and water hythacyth (however its spelled).  The third section uses polyester
batting to collect any dirt the plants roots do not catch.  I light the sumps
during the night when the other tanks are in the dark.   Works great.

Ed Tomlinson (tomlins at cam_org)
Montreal, Canada

Home of pppdial: http://www.cam.org/~tomlins/pppdial.html