[Prev][Next][Index]

Cobomba, Val.vs.Sag and SilverLux

>From: krandall at world_std.com (Karen A Randall)
>Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 08:46:27 -0500
>Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #201
>
>Subject: Cabomba

>One thing I've noticed about Cabomba (and most of the other
>"fluffy" plants as well) is that success is largely dependent on
>the sourse of the plants. If you can find some being grown by
>another hobbyist, in his aquaria, the plants do fine if they are
>properly cared for.  OTOH, if you buy Cabomba at the pet store, it
>has probably just been cut from a pond or canal outdoors in
>Florida.  The change seems to be too much for it.

I tried Cabomba once and the buried stem rot on me. It never take roots.
Recently I get a friend of mine to start a planted tank (he was onto
Cichlid). He got a few uprooted and floating red Cabomba from the shop
for free. They grow well for him and root easily. Don't know why but he
started the 15g tank with Tetra Initial Stick in the subtrate and 30
watt of Hitachi aquarium FL bulbs.

>- ------------------------------
>
>Subject: Post-move phenomena

>Many people have observed that Sag and Val tend not to do equally
>well in the same tank.  One will flourish while the other limps
>along.  Whether this is a case of allelochemichals at work, or
>whether it is simply that conditions favor one genus over the
>other is unclear.

This is true according to Rataj. It was mentioned in Vallisneria section
of the Aquarium Plants book. I also found that Sagittaria and certain sp
of Echinodorus will battle and kill each other if they are touching. My
E.Maior (Major?) had sustained more damage than I first though. Had to
throw away almost half of the leaves. One Sag died and the other was
very close before I replant it further away. It now put out new leaf in
addition to the 2 tiny leaves that was left. The allelochemical also
affecting touching E.Quadricostatus but does not seem to affect
E.Amazonicus (yet?).

------------------------------

>From: "David W. Parkin" <dwparkin at mmm_com>
>Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 08:40:56 -0600
>Subject: Re: Reflective Material

>I have used several materials for flourescent lighting fixtures on a couple
>of hoods I have made.  The best material I have come across is a highly
>reflective material made by 3M.  The name of it is SilverLux.  As far as
>reflectivity,  SilverLux is in the high 90% range (96% to 98%).  In fact,
>the only material that is as close to the reflectivity value in  SilverLux
>is a metalized mirror.  The bad news is that SilverLux is not available on a
>retail level - I can get it because I work at 3M and know the engineers on
>that product development team.  I have been trying to get them to consider
>producing a retail product for hobbyists - no luck yet.

This SilverLux is available commercially from 3M. I'm using one in my
study room. It cost about US$10 for 4' size and is guaranteed for 5
years. It is parabolic shape and attach to the FL tube though a spring
holder/clamp. It is almost like having another tube in the room.
Unfortunately (for me) the 2' size cost only a few cents less and I have
four tubes on my tank.

Maybe I should use 6 FL tubes with these 3M instead of MH for my soon to
be 2' deep tank. MH is so hard to find in Penang, Malaysia. Stephen
Pushak just told me about the heat from MH. Woh!

rgds..kbkoh