[Prev][Next][Index]

Wet-dry medium - suggestion

This is in response to inquiries recently about medium for DIY wet-dry
filters. My favorite is foam filters from Aquaclear (I've used several
types of plastic bio-balls, cubes, ribbons and sandwiched netting, as well as
ceramic cylinders, clam shells and lava rock).  Advantages are:

1. Efficient use of space - rectangular shape allows stacking.
2. Large surface area to volume ratio.
3. Good flow and distribution of water. Pores are large so clogging is not a
problem and water flows easily keeping the whole sponge wet.
4. Low cost.
5. Light weight.

I use the Aquaclear 300 foam blocks which are approximately 5.5" x 3.5 " x 2".
You can build rectangular cylinders (using plexiglass) in which several of these
blocks can be stacked. Very compact and light weight.

 --
Shiao Y. Wang
University of Southern Mississippi