[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Incandescent Lighting.

>From: Mike Variano <mvariano at vnet_ibm.com>
>Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 19:38:13 -0500
>Subject: Incandescant Lighting
>
>With all this talk about flourescant and MH lighting I
>thought I'd see if anyone had any experience with plain
>old incandescants. Mike T at Delaware Aquatics told me they
>grow great plants, if you use the clear bulbs. Not frosted.
>I might give it a try in a 20 gl. 4-5 watts per gal. Gotta
>be the cheapest way if it works. Anyone tried it yet?

Mike,

I downloaded an article from CompuServe a while back written by Richard Pon
that dealt with the use of various incandescent type lights in plant tanks.
His conclusion was that some of the halogen spot and flood lights were very
useful in a plant tank setup. I don't know where this article can be found
on the internet, but I would bet it could be found in "The Krib".

I haven't done much in the way of experimenting in this area yet, but I
personally like the rippling shadow effect you get when using these small
halogen floods. It's the same lighting effect you get with MH lighting.
(BTW, MH lighting is a type of incandescent.) I have thought of adding a
couple of 25W or  50w halogen floods to go along with the 2 40w flourescent
tubes I already have on my 55g. plant tank. (Yet another project waiting for
funds.) My reason for the low wattage bulbs is to minimize the heat I would
have to deal with. If I ever get around to it, I'll let everyone know what
my impressions are.

Regards,

Jay Bickford

Fort Smith, Arkansas