[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Re: Crypt problems

> From: krandall at world_std.com (Karen A Randall)
> Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 09:29:58 -0500
> Subject: Crypt problems

> If I had to make a guess, it would be that your nitrate level is
> the problem.

High nitrates?  Really?  I had never thought of this as a problem, since
nitrates are food for the plants.  Do you know a scientific reason for
this, or is it based on your personal experience?  Finally, what level
should I try for, say 10-20ppm?

> If your UGF is old and dirty, this could be a
> cotributing factor as well.

Dirty in what sense?  I do get pretty good clouds of dirt when I disturb
the gravel, such as by planting, but there isn't a ton of stuff on the
surface.  Also, observing the tank from beneath doesn't reveal a thick
layer of black sludge, like I've heard of.

> Crypts _do_ melt down sometimes, some
> species are worse about this than others.  But the fact that you
> don't mention any species names makes me suspect that the Crypts
> you are working with are the "generic" Crypts available from most
> pet stores.  More often than not, these are a variety of C.
> wendtii (there are several) and are _very_ hardy.  They are also
> usually emerse grown, and don't tend to melt when placed in a tank
> with good conditions.

The Crypts were sold as C. wendtii (2 stems) and C. cordata (2 stems).  I
know that part of the problem is the continual disturbance that the
plants are subjected to by the fish.  I have partly rectified this by
using a plug of plain rockwool to keep the fish at arm's (fin's :->)
length.  The
plant I think is a C. affinis is only a couple of day's in my possession,
so I don't know if it will melt.  It is much bigger than the wendtii's
I've seen and does have the veins prominent on the top of the leaves
which you mentioned.  Anyway, it has the "look" I was wanting, so I'm
going to run with it :-).

Thanks for the help.
Tom