[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Lighting for a 2ft deep tank

> KB Koh <KB_Koh at ccm_ipn.intel.com> wrote:
> I want to make sure I got it right and hope knowledgeable peoples
> on this list would help. I'm doing preparation for the 2ft deep
> 120gal tank I'll be getting in the next few months. I was reading
> the august issue of Fishkeeping Answer (a British mag) and they
> mentioned that only MH or MV lamps are recommended for 2ft or deeper
> tanks. Flo tubes are for depth of 18" or less. Is this true or could
> I get away with only flo bulbs? As the lighting would be costly, I want
> the lighting to be absolute and would not want to have to change it
> later on. Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> rgds..kbkoh

I'm running a 180 gallon tank, two feet deep.  I have the
el-cheapo twin-tube bulbs that came with the fixtures (I
know... I should replace them), and also some 5,000K compact
flourescent lights on top.  It comes out to 1.22 watts/gallon.

I'm getting wonderful plant growth and no algae.  I regularly
have surplus.  My system is very light on the fish and nutrient
load, and I typically don't do anything.  I find this tank
rather interesting and my success is rather unexpected:
If I knew what I was doing at the time, I don't think I would
have set the tank up like I did (but it ends up working
well for me).

I hesitate to recommend this setup, though.  My next tank
will be this size with MH lights and CO2 injection.  Of
course, with that much light I'll have to pay more attention
to the tank's operation, but growth will presumedly be better
(although I haven't found a plant I can't propagate at least
slowly with this setup).

For the money, go with MH.  I'd never be completely
satisfied with anything less.  Or a sun-roof, if the wife
permits.  :-)  With a tank the size you're talking, I think
you will have a much better margin of error with MH.

--charley                           Fort Collins, Colorado
charleyb at gr_hp.com	or	charley at agrostis_nrel.colostate.edu