[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Mangrove seedlings and growing algae

>From: Charley Bay <charleyb at hpgrla_gr.hp.com>
>Date: Fri, 5 Jan 96 9:35:23 MST
>Subject: Mangrove donation?
>
>Hi, everybody...
>
>I recently donated a 220 gallon tank to a school in my
>town.  The teacher is a friend of mine, and is also
>an aquarist (teaching biology and environmental science,
>junior-high school level).  It was rather painful for me
>to see the tank go, but my wife made it absolutely clear
>that I was not allowed to have another tank in the house
>("But I got this one at a great price!" I said).
>
>Anyway, they are setting it up as a paludarium, and
>it will hold about 120 gallons (I'm guessing) based
>on the way they are doing it.  They will have both
>aquatic plants and emersed bog plants, and are even
>trying to go with a river setup.
>
>I have some plants to donate, but the teacher
>specifically asked for a mangrove plant.  I don't
>have that, but told him I would make an appeal here.

...........(rest deleted)............

Try to get hold of the issue of Fish magazine previous to the one currently
selling.  It had an article about growing mangrove seedlings in
paludariums.  The author said that mangroves grew perfectly well in fresh
water.  He also gave his address and phone number and offered to send
mangrove seedlings to anyone interested.  I can't be more specific because
I browsed through the article without buying the magazine.

>From: sywang at whale_st.usm.edu (Shiao Y. Wang)
>Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 13:12:31 -0600 (CST)
>Subject: High intensity lights - question
>
>I'm trying to do something opposite of what we usually try to do - I'm
>trying to grow algae. I have a setup to grow phytoplankton (suspended algae
>essentially) to feed diaphnia and fairy shrimp. I'd like to have more intense
>lighting for the phytoplankton. Thought an inexpensive source would be
>lights from home centers.

Regular fluorescent lighting will do fine.  Two or three 24 in. tubes over
a 15 gallon tank with guppies will give you an endless supply of pea soup,
provided that the tank is not thickly planted and the surface is not
covered with floating plants.