[Prev][Next][Index]

High intensity lights - question

I'm trying to do something opposite of what we usually try to do - I'm
trying to grow algae. I have a setup to grow phytoplankton (suspended algae
essentially) to feed diaphnia and fairy shrimp. I'd like to have more intense
lighting for the phytoplankton. Thought an inexpensive source would be
lights from home centers.

Which of the following lights would be more suitable as far as the light
spectrum goes? The choices are: halogen, sodium vapor and mercury vapor.
Halogen would be the easiest as far as hookup is concerned. THANKS for any
advise.

By the way, I've used up my homemade liquid fertilizer and will make more
in the next few days. If anyone is interested in the recipe or getting
some, E-mail me directly.

Shiao Y. Wang
University of Southern Mississippi
sywang at whale_st.usm.edu