[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Update on False siamesis

          In early December I mentioned that a local store had fish which I
thought might be Crossocheilus oblongus.  I bought three and have seen them
change quite a bit since I bought them.  At this point I have no idea what
they are so I thought I'd post a description so overyone can guess.

  When I first saw them they were pale with gray lines on the side and
colorless fins.
Three days later when I bought them (less stressed I assume) they had a more
golden coloring, the gray line was black and the fins transparent yellow.
At this point I thought they might be 'regular' Flying foxes but I bought
them anyhow.  The black line
stops at the tail.  There is a lighter band above it, mostly yellowish.  The
top is medium brown.  I tried to count barbels but they were so active I
couldn't tell if they had any or not.  The largest(both longest and fullest
body shape) fish tended to swim to the bottom under another fish and then
get annoyed when the smaller fish sank down on top of it. (They have to keep
moving to not sink to the bottom).

  A couple weeks later they are now bigger, a little slower, and more
colorful.  I can now see that they have two sets of barbels on the upper
mouth.  A red line connects the barbels, it seems to be on the edge of the
piece of cartiledge that moves as the mouth opens and closes.  The largest
fish has two white bumps on top of the snout that look like litttle horns.
The other 2 may have them but the bumps are very small even on the bigger
fish.  The fins are generally transparent yellow with these additions: The
portions of the dorsal, pectoral and caudal fins furthest from the body are
transparent red.  The dorsal fin has a black triangle in the rays near the
base of the fin like the false siamensis.  The pelvic and anal fins are just
yellow.  I do not seen any white edges like a Flying Fox.  The biggest of
the three fish is 1 1/2 to 2 inches long, the smallest is still about 1
inch.  The smallest has very little red.  The fish still swim around most of
the time, occasionaly resting on their fins on the bottom.  The smalles fish
rests more on Cryptocoryne leaves than the bottom.

Any one have any guesses as to what these could be?