[Prev][Next][Index]

Cheap Lights

>> From: Noel Llopis-Artime <llopis at cs_unc.edu>
>> Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 14:53:39 -0500 (EST)
>> Subject: Advice on lighting for 29 gallon tank

Noel,

Lot depends on you and how handy you are.  For my 29 gallon I made a full
canopy for it.  Wood costs me nothing as I already had left over from previous
canopy building, but I used White Pine and if I was going to guess I'd say I
might have to spend 20 bucks for enough wood.  I didn't make anything fancy,
but painted it on the inside with a high gloss oil-based epoxy paint, and the
outside with a high gloss black acrylic.  Then I bought ballast and sockets for
the lamps.  Can't remember their costs, but it is maybe another 20 bucks.  All
I had to do after that was add the lights.  Cut and assembled everything in a
couple of hours, rest of time was just letting paint dry.  Ended up with a
complete canopy with custom lights for less then I could buy a single double
strip aquarium light.

Doug