[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Plants for African Rift Lake Tank.

>Out of the ten to twelve species
>of plants I have tried about eight to ten have done very well.
>    They include: Ludwigia repens (of some sort), Hygrophila polysperma,
>Hygrophila difformis, Echinodorus bleheri, Ceratopteris cornuta,
>Ceratopteris thalictroides, Vesicularia dubyana, Lemma minor, Cabomba
>caroliniana, and Ceratophyllum demersum.
>  My question then is what other plants have people out there found
>do well under such conditions as listed above? If anyone out there is
>keeping a planted Rift Lake tank what plants are you keeping??

I have hard water here as well. GH 15, KH 10. I do
however lower the pH to
7.3 by CO2 injection. Temp. is 28 Celcius.
Plants that seem to do really well in this setting are
various Valisneria sp., Cryptocoryne balansae,
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Echinodorus uruguayensis, E. barthii, Shinnersia
rivularis, Anubias barteri, an
unidentified Sagittaria sp. and even Ludwigia
glandulosa. Also thread algae
are growing REALLY well! (I think I'll start another
thread on this one when I
have more time).
 I have a bunch of other plants which are growing
nicely.

I'm not having good luck with Rotala wallichii (Thread
algae killed it), Cabomba
and Limnophilia sp.. Heteranthera zosterifolia is
hanging in there and growing, but
not very nicely.

Michael

|Michael Irlbeck        |  u7211aa at sunmail_lrz-muenchen.de|
|Dept. of Physiology    |                                 |
|University of Munich   |                  CIS:100277,343 |