[Prev][Next][Index]

Cold weather shipping

Subject: Cold weather shipping

> I would suggest using Priority Mail from the USPS for shipping p
> under two pounds ship for $3.00, and the post office will provid
> cardboard box for free. Include delivery instructions on the add
> thus: KEEP FROM FREEZING-HOLD AT PO. Write the instructions prom
> above and below the address. Your carrier will notify you when t
> arrives.

I would agree with all of the above except for the box.  Instaed
of cardboard, go to your local veterinarian's office and ask them
for left over styrofoam boxes from shipping vaccines.  They usual
just throw these away, and are glad to,have someone recycle them.
They are smaller than the average fish box... just about the
perfect size for shipping small groups of plants.  They are
usually filled with either styro "peanuts or bubble pack as well.

All these materials are light weight, insulate well, and keep
plants from moving around excessively within the box.  If packed
with minimal water, (which is the way plants should be shipped
anyway, just wrap them in very wet newspaper and close them in an
uninflated plastic fish bag) I find that they almost always come
in under the 2lb/$3 limit.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA