[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Algae Scrubbers

On Dec 20,  3:39am, Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com wrote:

> From: Stephen.Pushak at saudan_HAC.COM
> Date: Tue, 19 Dec 95 15:20:17 PST
> Subject: Algae Scrubbers
>
> These are devices which contain a kind of lighted tray where algae is
> encouraged to grow and is used to remove excess nutrients from a tank
> in order to prevent growth of algae within the tank itself. If anyone
> wants to clarify or expand on my definition (perhaps with a little
> ASCII diagram) please have a go. There was an article on these things

	There is a pretty good discussion on these in the Reefkeepers FAQ.
	The feeling was that algae scrubbers increased the algae problem by
	making so many spores available.  There were other negative comments
	more applicable to a reef tank.

	It sounded like reef keepers have at least as much problem with algae
	as we plant folks do!!

> in the AGA journal a few months ago. Is anybody here experimenting
> with these things? I'd be interested to hear any thoughts/ideas/
> ramblings on them.

	It sure sounds like a good idea.  Maybe it's enough to tip the
	nutrient balance against algae in a well balanced tank.

	John