[Prev][Next][Index]

Lead Weights and 'Windelov' Javas

Subject: Re: lead in tank?

Kevin,

> I've found rock wool to be an excellent substitute for lead weig
> I remove it from well-rooted potted plants and save it away unti
> have some cuttings I need to plant.  Then I simply wrap it aroun
> base of the cuttings and hold it in place with a rubber band.  O
> a while I'll wrap some rooting hormone up with the cuttings to g
> them to root faster.

Be careful with the rockwool from hydroponically grown plants...
it's full of the nutrient solution the plants were grwon in and
can ad a substantial amount of nitrate and phosphate to your tank,
causing algae problems if the tank is brightly lit.  You _can_
purchase clean rookwool (which is inert) from hydroponic supply
sources.

------------------------------

> Subject: Microsorum pteropus 'Windel v'

Franc

> The other day I visited my local aquarium shop.  As always I fir
> check out their plant section. My eyes immediately focused on
> the strange looking plants. There was about 20 or so of them. Th
> tag in the pot(Tropica sends their plants always potted) said Mi
> pteropus Windel v.
>
> As I reached in to get myself 3-4 pots I noticed the price tag $
> The plants were only five inches tall. The plants are just too e
> to buy a few at the time, without checking for compatibility and

Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov' (the "o" is the Danish "o" with a
slash that doesn't print in most computer programs here) Is just
as hardy as other Javas, and a wonderfully attractive accent
plant.  It doesn't grow very large, however, and I've found the
amount and length of the branching is effected by environmental
conditions.  On a piece of driftwood near the top od my 70G with
240W of light, it is looser in form with longer branches.  Near
the bottom of my 55G with 160W, the branching is shorter, and the
whole plant takes on the dense form of a big green pom-pom.

If you have good success with other Javas, you'll do well with
this one too.  The price may be high, but it's a great plant, and
you only need to buy one, as it will increase readily, and you'll
have all you need!

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA