[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: lead in tank?

Zeb Swinney wrote:

>I've seen the small lead stips that are wrapped around the stem of plants to
>keep them ancored down.  Will the lead harm the plants or leach into the
>water and hurt the fish?  It is toxic to humans and I am leary of putting it
>in my tank but it would be useful to ancor the plants without using the peat
>blocks.  Are there any other alternatives?
>
>Thanks

Zeb, I think you may be mistaken about the toxicity of lead to humans (and
plants or fish). I don't know where you got your information, but it keeps
cropping up, and I would like to find out where it's coming from.

Lead is very inert in water that isn't fairly acid. Sure, a child (or
painter) eating a *lot* of lead-oxide paint can slowly develop some
heavy-metal poisoning symptoms, but that's not the same thing, at all. This
paint problem has lead ( :-) ) to a hysterical press reaction comparable only
to the asbestos scare, and a regulatory zeal that provides jobs for a huge
number of government employees, certified lead-removal contractors, etc.

To my knowlege, the deadly form of lead is propelled by an explosive
discharge, at high velocity, through some vital organ. Hundreds of people
have lived long useful lives with unremoved bullets somewhere in their body.
Toxic? Why do doctors leave them in, then?

If someone out there can document the toxicity of metallic lead, not
dissolved by gastric acids, I would like to know of it. Then I can shut up
about this little piece of urban folklore. Until that happens, I'll happily
use lead anchors when I need them (which is almost never). I'll also repond
whenever anyone uses that emotion-laden press word, "toxic," without
justifying the use of such a scare word.

Please don't feel I'm picking on you, Zeb. I am just sick of being told what
to do by a bunch of control freaks that use misinformation to get more
control over our lives. These urban myths become their strongest tool in
getting what they want, if left unchallenged.

Wright

--

Wright Huntley (408) 248-5905 Santa Clara, CA USA huntley at ix_netcom.com