[Prev][Next][Index]

helpful hint on Laterite

Item Subject: Text_1
     Problem : how DO you get that messy laterite powder into an
     established aquarium?

     Solution 1 : (not so good) buy granules and stick them in. Problem
     with this : nice round Dupla K pellets very expensive. Other
     "granules" end up having a lot of powder in them anyways -- so you
     waste a lot.

     Solution 2 : Buy the powder! Get a syringe ( or similar implemet
     (?turkey baster) - cut off the end, pour the laterite powder into
     syringe (using a funnel). Hold end of full syring with your finger.
     Put the syringe at the surface of your gravel -- remove finger -- push
     syringe into gravel (near root zone) -- push plunger thereby injecting
     Laterite powder into gravel -- remove syringe, and push surface gravel
     into "hole". Voila - no mess !! I have done this a number of times
     with a 10 cc syringe, and the water is a little cloudy for 6-12 hours,
     but clears up quickly. Just last week, I was able to place 1 lb. of
     Laterite powder in a 55 gal aquarium heavily planted aquarium in 30
     min.

     Bob.
     Pelham NY