Re: shoplight conversion


 Hope I'm not stepping on Karen's toes here <G>.  The ballast the black 
metal thing in the light fixture.  It's quite heavy and should say 
ballast on it.  You want to replace this object with a "energy-saving 
ballast for two 32-watt lamps."  The quotes are mine;  the ballast and 
box should say that, and a salesperson should be able to help you if you 
ask for one.  Get the new ballast before you remove the old one.  Mark 
all connections so you'll know how to put it all back together.  There 
should also be a diagram on the ballast showing installation directions.  
If you have a Polaroid, you might wan to take a picture before starting.  
That's it.

Good luck.  Don't be too shy; we all learn by doing.  You'll be an expert 
after your first one.


PS  you can get a ballast at a hardware store, although you should call 
electrical supply stores for the best price.

> From: "Carol Darnell" <carol at jupiter_biochem.missouri.edu>
> Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 10:48:58 -0600
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #116
> Karen,
> You said it was a fairly simple job to convert a shoplight to a T-8 fixture?
> Please tell me how, and please keep in mind I am SEVERELY electronically
> challenged (Mechanically also :*( ) All you have to do is remove the old
> ballast and replace it with the new one? The ballast is a black round plastic
> thing right? (See, I told you) How do you get to it? And the new ballast for 4
> bulbs is ~ $40 or less? And can you buy these at lighting supply places? Boy I
> hope everyone doesn't crack their sides laughing!
> - -- 
> Carol Darnell