[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: getting rid of hair algae

>From: simon mann <mann at alf_chem.su.oz.au>
>Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 18:36:03 -0500
>Subject: algae & new filter
>
>        I'm about to set up a 30g planted community tank and
>intend putting a biowheel filter on it.  Having read most of
>the posts concerning algae control I have decided to
>try to eliminate algae from this new tank from the start by
>bleaching the plants.  So my question is if I cycle my new
>filter on my old tank, which has loads of algae, will I just
>be transferring algal spores to my new tank?

Yes you will.  You have to get rid of all the hair algae or else it will
just climb back on your plants.  You must also put the filter in a bleach
solution.  If the tank is new, you don't have to worry about bleaching it.
Ditto for gravel, but don't use old gravel from a hair algae-infested tank
without bleaching it or boiling it.

>        My second question is, without starting a huge
>debate, what is the best substrate to use in this new tank?

I recommend any topsoil with 1/4 to 1/2 its volume in dried cow manure
added and the mix composted for about 3 weeks. Also add some broken up egg
shells to supply calcium.  Put about 1/2 inch to 1 inch gravel on top of
this soil.  Don't try an undergravel filter.