[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Newbee Question

>      I dont know what the tecnical term is, but I have a question
> about the tank setup style where you have a tank half water and half
> land.

Hello Justin:

What you are talking about is called a paluderium or an aquaterrarium
(I've seen both names used).  Done right, they are spectacular! You
can have aquatic and terrestrial plants, fish, amphibians; a whole
micro-world.

Some people on this list, notably Karen Randall, have done outstanding
jobs on these and have published articles and pictures in magazines,
so you will get some excellent advice here.

> I think that thats great and all, but it seems like a glass
> cleaning nightmare!  How do you keep a white evapooration line off of
> the front of the glass?  Do you have to scrub it off every day or so?

My setup is a very modest one, but I never noted that problem.  In fact,
my main cleaning problem is the small amount of soil that gets into
the water.  Since I use regular potting soil, it floats and looks annoying.
Though I must say the fish, etc, don't seem to care!

I do clean the inside glass about once a week using a spongie with a soft
side and a hard side.

Nick