[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Crossocheilus oblongus

>From: Cathy Drzyzgula <cathyd at clark_net>
>Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 18:25:59 -0500
>Subject: Crossocheilus oblongus
>
>     The local fish dealer who has been trying valiantly to obtain some SAEs
>for his customers has gotten in what seem to be the Crossocheilus oblongus
>mentioned in the article by Neil Frank and Liisa Sarakontu.  They look very
>much like the drawings of the "False Siamensis" but their fins are clear.  I
>was wondering if anyone had kept these fish much and whether it would be
>worth buying a few. I have a 30 gal. tank whose only algae-eater now is a
>Chinese Algae Eater which does eat some of the algae but not of course red
>algae.  I am mostly wondering if they are not often kept because they are
>not commonly available or are they just not worth keeping?  (I don't care if
>they don't eat red algae, I figure I will eventually be able to get some
>real SAEs).  Would they be any improvement over the Chinese Algae Eater?

By all means buy some. You can be the first to find out if they like to eat
algae and can report back.  I have made so many inquiries around the country
to find SAEs that it looks like some other interesting, related fish may
start to show up!  If you do not want to keep this 'find' all to yourself,
can you try to get the name of the wholesaler/importer from whom they were
purchased. I would be very interested to get some.

>    Also the pictures and drawings of the cyprinids on the AGA home page are
>wonderful!  I'd look at the table of features before, but have a picture is
>so useful! Thank you.

You are welcome! Liisa and I aim to please. :-)

Visit the AGA home page at <http://blake.oit.unc.edu/~fish/aga/>