[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Crypts - Substrate Heating

Doug Valverde wrote:
> Takashi Amano does use a substrata additive in some cases, which is only
> evident if you read the very back portion of his first book.  There he
> refers to a sand based fertilizer.

I guess it's "Power Sand".

Karen Randall wrote:
| There is enough information missing from NWA (at least the TFH
| version) to make anything we say guesswork!<g>

Amano is selling "Nature Aquarium Goods" here in Japan.  But, probably not
in any other countries.  I guess that's the reason of missing information.

According to an early issues of Amano's "AquaJournal" magazine,
His "Nature Aquarium Goods" contains following products for substrate:
(1) Growth Plate
    Heating plate for the bottom of the substrate to provide uniform warmth
    to the substrate.  (I don't know whether Amano himself uses this one.)
(2) Power Sand
    Volcanic sand stuffed with peat, fertilizer and bacteria
    This is used for the bottom of the substrate, as laterite mixed in
    the sand.  There are 3 sizes of grains; S(-40cm), M(40-60cm), L(60cm-)
    for different depth of tanks.
(3) Bactor 100
    100 different types of bacteria for the substrate.
(4) Iron Bottom
    Substrate fertilizer with (black) iron coating, supposed to last 2 months.

As for the liquid fertilizers,
(1) Brighty K
    Serves both as dechlorinator and pottasium supply.
(2) Green Brighty Step-1
      (For starting up the planted tanks. 0-3mo)
    Green Brighty Step-2
      (For the well going planted tanks. 3-12(or6?)mo)
    Green Brighty Step-3
      (For the planted tanks with old substrate. 12(or6?)mo-)
    Green Brighty Special for bright light plants
    Green Brighty Special for low light plants

I've just got Iron Bottom, Brighty K, Green Brighty Step-2 to try.  So far,
I have no idea how they actually work.

 -Shinji