[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: SAEs...

> From: John Green <jgreen at ibm_net>
> Subject: SAEs...
>
> What is the scientific name for Siamese Algae Eaters? I have Baensch
> Aquarium Atlas Vol. 2 (I haven't been able to afford buying Vol. 1 yet)
> and the only thing listed under 'Siamese' is the 'Siamese Stone-Lapping
> Fish'. Is this it?

John,
Crossocheilus siamensis.  Old name was Epalzeorhynchus siamensis.  Don't
bother to buy the Baensch 1 for that picture, it shows a false s. instead
of the real SAE.  The fish that Baensch calls Siamese SLF is one Garra
species, closely related to the SAE.  Only real SAEs in Baensch are on
p. 11, in an African Rift Lake cichlid tank.

> Secondly, could someone point me to a resource on the net that would
> have an accurate, clear picture of an SAE?

I have one on my homepage, and it is as accurate and clear as I could
draw.  The live models for it live in my 40g tank.  There is at least
one SAE photo on the AGA homepage, check its URL from Neil Frank's
signature.  My URL is down there, in my .signature.

> From: gtong at sirius_com (G.Tong)
> Subject: SAE diagnosis needed
>
> Can someone help me save an SAE's life? I've had three SAEs
> This morning I found a small one dead and the other small one barely moving
> but with a case of shivers, i.e., he shivers all over now and then. The
> large one shows no ill effects at all.
> They are in a 10-gallon plant tank (waiting for their new 40-gallon home to

Greg,
all I can guess is that the tank is too small for them.  They are very
active and strong swimmers.  They might have been so upset from your
plant pruning, that they have run to the tank glasses and hurt themselves.
I know one sad case when a SAE-looking fish (don't know its real species,
some kind of barb) ran to the front glass and broke its back.  Your water
sounds perfect, and SAEs are normally very hardy.

> ...and a 50 liter stuffed with one goldfish
> (a young Ranchu) and a couple of loaches. The SAE-s are in
> the last tank I mentioned.

Tonid,
a 50 liter (about 13 US gallons) tank is too small for SAEs when they
get 5-6 cm long.  These active swimmers need more space.

Liisa Sarakontu                     INTERNET:    lsarakon at hila_hut.fi
Helsinki University of Technology   WWW homepage http://www.hut.fi/~lsarakon/