[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Sand based fertilizer

On Wed, 15 Nov 1995 03:39:02 -0500 you wrote:
>Takashi Amano does use a substrata additive in some cases, which is only
>evident if you read the very back portion of his first book.  There he refers
>to a sand based fertilizer.
>I have no idea exactly what this is, although I have a post in to his >company and should be getting the answer soon.  But I suspect that if it is
>not a type of laterite, it serves the same purpose.

I don't know for SURE what this is but I would guess Jersey
Greensand.  It is also called Jersey marl sand.  It is a naturally
precharged clay with a high CEC, as is laterite.   I don't know what
it is charged with tho, and I would guess it is NOT iron as it  does
not have a lovely iron earth-tone color.  It is more a dark
grey-green.   If someone has any info on nutrient content, please
share it.   The advantage of greensand is that it has the texture of
sand and settles out of the water much more rapidly.   Dave

Dave Gomberg, Experimenta      San Francisco CA USA   gomberg at wcf_com