[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Crypts - substrate heating

>- - Is it true that crypts do poorly with substrate heating? Almost everything
>seems to point me in the direction of substrate heating but when I read that
>George (& others) had crypts that did poorly, I was crushed.

Crypts are among the most difficult plants to cultivate. They do not like to
be disturbed and grow very slowly. They are peculiar in that many species
are prone to the melt down which can be triggered by any change, but
particularly to an introduction of other crypts. Crypts do not require as
much lighting as other plants, and may in fact prefer less light than the
high light situations many of us are now utilizing. The conditions of
George's tanks are apparently not optimal for the particular Cryptocoryne
species he has tried. Although crypts are my favorites, they do not appeal
to many people. This is not to say that I can grow them will. But I like
challenges.

>- - Why does it appear that Takashi Amano (Nature World Aquarium) can grow
>all(?) with no laterite and no substrate heating (including crypts) for years
>without a teardown?

 There are many ways to successfully grow plants; this is what makes this
hobby so great. And it should be noted that Amano is not the only one in the
world that can grow plants this way. <g>. I should mention however, that
after he wrote his first book, he also started to use substrate heating. The
design which his company sells involves a stainless steel plate into which
are placed ceramic heaters.

Neil Frank   Editor of "The Aquatic Gardener"  Aquatic Gardeners Association
Visit the AGA home page at <http://blake.oit.unc.edu/~fish/aga/>